Wednesday, September 15, 2010

DNF - Gettin' It Out Of The Way Early

I headed up to Heber with my buddy Andrew for the 2nd installment of the Euclid Wed. pre-season cyclocross series. I pre-rode the course and found the lower pressure in my front tire was helping me stick the corners really well; I dropped the psi to around 30 in the front and 32 in the rear. During my pre-ride I was behind a guy on the new Stevens Carbon Cross bike and he had an Ipod with a speaker playing rap or punk(I couldn't hear it really well) in his jersey pocket. I can appreciate a guy that races with is own soundtrack.

Race time came and I lined up next to my friend Kyle, who had downgraded from the A class to the Bs. I made sure to give Kyle a hard time about his downgrade and threatened a severe mocking if he won. The go sign was up and we were off. I hadn't paid attention to where I lined up at the start and realized after we headed out that I was on the far outside so about 6 people got ahead of me by the first turn. Up the run-up down the hill and through the fast first section. This first section has really become my favorite part of the course. You can carry some good speed through the corners and have a lot of fun. There are a few short steep ups and downs to keep things interesting then you're through to the next part.

After I settled in to 5th place I was maintaining my lead on the 6th and having a great time. My heart rate was pegged and I was panting, but I was maintaining it and feeling ok. I had gotten comfortable with all the loose corners, maintaining speed and letting my rear wheel drift out a bit to scrub off speed as necessary. This helped me keep from losing momentum through each corner.

About 30 minutes into the race I was done; pinch flat! I manage to get a flat and DNF at least once each season. You may be wondering, "but Ryan I thought you had tubulars, how on Earth did you get a pinch flat?" I'll explain this mathematically:

(30 psi x 30 mph) + large rock = pinch flat

I had come down that rocky hill going pretty fast. Hit the rocky flat section at what I now consider a somewhat reckless pace; I wasn't really in control. Then I heard a big PING and almost immediately my front wheel started washing out. I brought the bike to a stop and confirmed that I had in fact flattened the tire. Amazingly my discount tubular wheels came through the abuse with flying colors, no dents, dings, and still totally strait and true.

I took the walk of shame back to the car, racked the bike, and cheered on my friends. A bit of a bummer, but it was still a fun night. Now I get the pleasure of tearing the tire off the rim and gluing a new one on.


No comments:

Post a Comment