Sunday, August 22, 2010

Annual "I can't wait for Cyclocross" Post

This morning there was a definite chill in the air this morning; Fall is on the way. My twitter (yeah I signed up for twitter, but only to see what's going on, not to "tweet" about anything) is full of cyclocross chatter; I follow a bunch of 'cross racers. Some of my facebook friends are posting stuff about 'cross. Everywhere I go there seems to be this feeling of excitement about the forthcoming cyclocross season. To blow my mind even further, the same guys that run the mid-week mountain bike race series are starting a 4 race mini-cross series in September. Check out this awesome gps file of the race course http://connect.garmin.com/player/44997122

To further increase my excitement, this year I have seriously nice (way nicer than my speed and talent justify)cyclocross bike (Stevens Carbon Cross) that I bought last spring with my bike shop discount. I have a set of tubular wheels, aluminum mind you, I haven't managed to get myself to drop $1000 bucks on a set of carbon race wheels. There are a set of tubular tires on those wheels getting stretched and ready to be glued on.

Team Clammy Chamois will be in effect this year, though without our ringers since they defected through the lure of free bikes and local bike shop fame. It sounds like we're going to make it official with team jerseys this year. I'm looking forward to seeing the design and celebrating the rowdiness and brat filled 'cross racing and spectating that is team Clammy Chamois.

My only goal for this year is to move up a few places from my consistent mid-pack finish and not puke after finishing the race in Draper. Upon further reflection, I realize that those goals are somewhat at odds with each other, but I'm going to stick with them anyway.

To achieve these goals I will:
- Do some interval training (periodically, and only as long as my mental Psyche can handle riding a bike in my basement and without going anywhere)

- Limit my sausage consumption to after the race, this includes not taking the bacon hand-up during the race.

- Keep myself mentally in the race and not spend half of it hoping I get a mechanical or a flat.

It should be an awesome season despite the fact that the first 4 races are at venues that are designed to stamp out any delusion that I may have in thinking I've prepared better for this season that in past years. Draper and that stupid hill, Weber x 2 and Heber Fairgrounds designed for fast roadies that have much better cardio than I ever will.

Bring on the cold and the mud and another awesome cyclocross season. Mud and guts on 3!

2 comments:

  1. I also have some races where I hope for a mechanical to justify a break/drop in position or if I am really struggling an excuse to DNF - but really I never want that to happen - more pictures this year please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha, The fever started early for me this season too. So stoked.

    ReplyDelete